The Time I met Yasmin Mogahed for the 1st Time

Assalamualaikum :)

At her first ever talk in Johor Bahru


I have actually known Ustazah Yasmin since I was in high school around 2012-2014. I'm not sure how I heard about her but I think it was because of her super popular book entitled "Reclaim Your Heart" as shown in the photo above. I didn't get to have it although there were many times which I exited bookshops buying only necessary items and staring sadly to the book that was most of the times at the best-sellers section.

So, I really didn't get to you know; have that sense of attachment to her. She was merely someone I always want to remember and refer to as an icon. But it wasn't really like that during my high school time. However, I did slowly try to follow up her social medias. Her writings were so deep and spiritual sometimes I don't understand them just enough to make me ponder upon the matters related to them. In a sense, I didn't really have that sort of special feeling of her. It was merely an acknowledgement I had and I kept up with it.


One day, around this year I was browsing through Facebook late at night and stumbled upon her post about her coming to Johor Bahru. I swear to God, I thought it was unreal for awhile. I didn't immediately register because I always told myself making decisions after midnight for me is irrational (especially when online shopping). So I waited for other days to come for me to register, but if I wasn't mistake I only had 3 days away from the Early bird price.


I remembered about it again when I saw her ad about her talk in Kuala Lumpur. Holy the tickets were damn much expensive. Hahaha

I quickly told my mom about it and she straight away said buy the tickets - and we did- 3 tickets for my sister too.

From left; Aliya, Mother and I. In the hall, which looked more like a lecture hall to me because it was quite small ehe


When we arrived, of course there were books written by her sold at the entrance. I begged my mom to buy one for me. And yeay I finally have one for myself! However, it has been the longest time since I read any English books. So, I haven't finish reading it yet. Let me know if you want me to share about the book.

Thing is, can you imagine how I felt? Since I was in high school, only after I finished it I could get my hands to it. I think it was relevant; for the book to be owned only now. Why?

And another fact is that, I have never watched Ustazah Yasmin speak before. I have only heard her sister, Dalia (hehe). So it was really like me stepping into another level when I saw her walk in and started speaking. Although I knew I could have attended her previous talks in Kuala Lumpur, the one I attended JB only now was relevant. Why?

Here is what I feel about her writings and talks. I don't feel completely touched or motivated like how we usually feel after we go through motivational camps and such. Her sharings felt like a memory I used to have. They were matters that I know and understood, but somehow forgotten and buried.

I realized that Allah swt made me remember her since I was younger regardless me not feeling the need of it because only now, she is relevant to me.

You know how our iman is always up and down? I personally think mine is just going down. I'm not saying I was so faithful before but somehow I believe so. Or maybe these are just normal thoughts when you go through adulting.

Point it, Ustazah Yasmin reminded me of the days I went through. And the hikmah I had within me to endure all the obstacles that suffocated me.

It's true that we should always maximize our life in the present. There are even thoughts that claim you worry because you are always thinking of the future and sad because you are binded to the past.

But her knowledge and talks- reminded me of where I should ground myself. To remember the past, because it keeps up humble.

And especially when she really emphasizes the ULTIMATE SOLUTION to all of our problems.

Which was really something- my soul needed.
All the yoga I can do, but none of it can give me halawatul iman.
It's different, the natural ecstasy you get from mindfulness practice and the faith you have from practicing Islam.


And I think, when I realized how amazing Allah has planned this- I couldn't help but cry as I tell Ustazah Yasmin about my gratitude towards her work. And I love her, because she isn't the serious or super intimidating to learn from. You'd feel very accepted despite your appearance or difference.


Not only did I get to meet her in person, and get my book autographed by her...she hugged me when I cried tears of happiness.

It was a very inspiring day for me although Johor Bahru was rainy the whole day.
I aspire to be like her. She's so down to earth and really love to help people. You can see her sincerity when she talks with us. She wants to help others with the experience and knowledge she had.
And that's how I aspire to become of too. 

Someone who benefits others. Probably not to the extent where the person will find Allah but who knows right? I mean it's possible...but as long as someone can benefit it somehow, it is already more than enough for me.

Insha Allah :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pengalaman menduduki interview JPA dan MYPAC/Yayasan Peneraju PART 2

Pengalaman menduduki interview JPA dan MYPAC/Yayasan Peneraju PART 1

La Tahzan :')